Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Falling Blessings



One of my favorite moments from last year was on one of my daily runs down on a trail not far from my house. On this particular day, it was glorious. It was a typical New England fall day, where the air  is crisp, the sun is shining, and blue skies are painted with white fluffy clouds. The trees were in multicolored bloom with golden leaves that  fell to the ground.
My feet rhythmically hit the soft dirt, leaving my eyes free to look ahead and watch the leaves fall from the trees as they drifted slowly to cover the ground with golden foliage.
"Catch one," my mind whispered. My hand flew out, but I missed. I was too slow. The leaf twirled and drifted downward until it soundlessly hit the ground.
"Catch another one."
 I tried again, still missing. Feeling very disappointed, I slowed my pace. Thump, thump, thump. I stopped in the middle of the trail. God's voice spoke, telling me to look around. I watched another leaf fall to the ground, then another, hundreds falling around me every second. Thousands upon thousands--far to many to count. I heard again, "These are your blessings. Take them as often as you like. All you have to do is pick them up."
With the sun's rays streaming through the trees, I realized the great truth given to me that day. God is continually pouring out his blessings on his children, but we must learn how to receive the great things God has for us. He wishes for us to prosper.

(lifeinlimbo2.blogspot.com) 

31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
--Matthew 6:31-33


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Pat. You are a lovely writer. These sound so much like Daily Bread excerpts. I have been keeping a gratitude book since December, trying to count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete